Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My first (and second) official "Little Blue House" project

We still have quite a bit to unpack and a bit more to move here still, but I can't resist getting the major areas of the house in order, and making them a little pretty while I continue to drudge on with the moving and unpacking.

So if it is not well known yet it shall be soon that I LOVE chalkboard stuff, I put chalkboard paint, contact paper and labels on anything and everything, don't know why it just makes me happy. And don't get me started on the discovery of chalk markers, I get to enjoy the prettiness of chalk boards without the pain of chalk dust, shut your mouth!

If you haven't gathered already my first project or two involved chalkboards! The first was in my kitchen, I knew when we walked through the house that these cabinet doors had to go, they had at least a one inch gap! (the cabinets on the left)


Here it is after their glorious reveal, whomp, whomp, whomp. I was hoping to paint the wall or back of the cabinet but with these fine pieces of cabinetry hanging paraphernalia I had devise another plan.

So after much debate I went with foam core and chalkboard contact paper from Hobby Lobby. It was actually nice and quick, aside from a couple issues with a less than level shelf.
 I haven't quite finalized my shelf selections I am sure they will evolve but in the meantime my kids know where everything goes and I have a nice open shelf to look at.


Project number two has been on my Pinterest board from the first time we looked at this house and I envisioned stairs in my life. A nice little entry way decor just right for a homeschooling family full of kids. I see it being used for reminders, love notes, fun little family things, and of course little hands doodles. It kind of helps make this awkward wall just right for us.

And let me tell you a wall full of hanging hooks is like gold around here, each of my children have a tote bag for each activity: AWANA, American Heritage Girls, Co-op, Library book bags, etc. All of our bags are labeled accordingly now it is just matching them up to the right hooks which is much easier when labeled.
Please excuse the drip marks, chalkboard paint is kind of runny and it got a little out of hand, it also took an entire can for this small wall. We still have an entire house full of trim to cover with some high gloss white to make cleaning a little easier and cover up these first time painters "Oops" marks.



1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I love your creativity! I'm so amazed by what you have accomplished thus far! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete