Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oh my....

Our first week of homeschooling under our belts and I can finally write about.
In really nice words it kinda sucked. It didn't help that Daddy was working extra hours and attending a work conference. We survived by the skin of our teeth, I yelled more than I would like to mention. I can't say I didn't want to give up a time or two, or that I heard the bell ring up at the school and wanted so badly to drop half my kids off up there. But we made it and we are starting fresh this week.

A few things I learned last week:
-Schedules and routines are two different things and scheduling is a joke.
-I learned that just because God called you to do something does not mean He is going to make it easy.
-I now understand better why God called me to do this.
-I knew my daughter was struggling in school now I know why and I know we have made the right decision to homeschool her.
-At the end of the day the basics are what really matter.
-Juggling a baby and toddler while homeschooling 2 older children is hard, hard, so hard.

Things I want to do better this week:
-Lose the schedule focus on routine
-Make our way to the park a lot more, it is recess for all (including mommy).
-Make teachable moments, teachable moments.
-Don't be afraid to improvise, change or skip the lesson plans completely when we can learn more just from life.
-My children are brilliant and special and they have an opportunity to take the reins in there education don't be afraid to allow them some control.
-When struggling for focus, or attention, find a good book and just read out loud.
-Cordelia's Suggestion: Read the bible everyday till we finish it.

So this week my children have laid out the subject order for the day. We have agreed on expectations and I am allowing Cordelia the freedom to study a subject or two without a period of instruction from me. I have at least two days set aside for the park as well as a field trip for good behavior.

I will start pictures again when we start back on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment